Wednesday, August 14, 2013

DOVI

My main running partner is Dovi, my 5ish year old Doberman Pinscher.
Sunblazin
I rescued Dovi from the Illinois Doberman Rescue in 2010.  I still can't believe somone gave this beautiful dog up.  Dovi is the best friend I have ever had.  He's very large for a doberman, weghing about 100 pounds.  He's also pretty tall.  Best of all, he loves to run.  When I open up the "running sock drawer" he goes bananas!  He grabs a running shoe and rus up and down the hall in excitement.  If I do not take him because I am going to an event or race, he howls out the back window when I leave.
Dovi loves backpacking in the cooler temps
Dovi and one of his BFF's - Blue one of our foster dobermans

I usually bring some dog treats and hot dogs to reward him for good behavior on the run.  He knows all of my usualy routes and he firmly believes that it is his job to keep me safe on the run.  Although he gladly accepts invited guests, no one gets close without invitation.  His PR distance is 24 miles, although he could have gone further that day.  His biggest week was 60 miles.  Right now he's sittin at 625 or so miles for the year.

I have learned a lot about running from Dovi.  He doesn't care about pace or place.  He doesn't mind being passed.  He stops and looks around often and doesn't mind a walkin break.  Every once in a while he also remembers to stop and look around.  When I got Dovi I was still a road runner.  After spending some miles with him I decided I wanted to learn to run like Dovi.  Always smiling.  Always happy.

Dovi and Sarah
Dobermans make great running partners.  They are smart, loyal and protective.  They also have great endurance. with the exception of very hot days Dovi can generally outrun me.

If you are looking for a coach or a new best friend, considering adopting a Doberman!  there are always many available at the Illinois Doberman Rescue!

No comments:

Post a Comment