Sunday, June 16, 2019

The Most Beautiful Trail In The World

So I've been traveling this month, I'm sure you've seen.  Apologies for the overload.



One think I really like to do when I am in a new place is run.  I just look on Strava to see if there are any local routes and kinda half ass it to them.

Now.  I realize it isn't practical for everyone all the time.  Example: I'm in Africa.  No cell phone.  No wifi.  High crime rate.  No idea what I am in for running in a certain direction.

Strangely, I've never run into a problem. 

My wife thinks I'm crazy.  Like, no way is it worth it.

Well, it is.

As a recovering addict and a person that feels like he's lived quite a bit, I refuse to avoid experiences based on, even well-founded fear.  I take a healthy dose of alertness and take the chance.  Why?  Because 'he who is not busy living is busy dying.'

So today I woke up in Mossel Bay, S.A. and had no idea where to run.  I saw a couple of Strava segments.  One on a road and one on a waterfront. So what the fuck, why not try.



I started jogging easy down this road and was thrilled to come upon a Led Zeppelin-themed joint...which I took a picture of and assumed it would be the highlight of the run.



Then I got the waterfront, which was spectacular.  This place really was cool.  



But where was this 8 mile "trail" segment.  Well, first I climbed stairs forever.  Then it hit me like a ton of bricks.  This trail was single track on the edge of the earth.  It's about 500 feet down a rocky coast to the Indian Ocean. All I can hear is waves.  And behold, the most beautiful trail in the world. (and I have seen some trails).  I just couldn't believe my eyes.  At every turn it got better.  






































Until I had to turn back because my wife would for sure fear I died.  No worries though, I bought her back to it before we hit the road again.




Yea, I could have gotten attacked by wildlife Wednesday.  I might have been kidnapped today. But you know what, you only live once.  So I think I'll get up and do this again tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment