Friday, May 16, 2014

Comrades


My next adventure is to travel to South Africa to run the Comrades Ultramarathon.  The Comrades is an approximately 56 mile road race run in Africa between the cities of Durban and Pietermaritzburg. the direction is changed every year from "Up" to "Down," and vice versa.  this year is a "Down" year so I will be starting in Pietermaritzburg and running to Durban.


It is the world's largest and oldest ultramarathon.  Approximately 18,000 people will be participating.  There is a strict twelve (12) hour cutoff to make it the distance.  I will be dealing with some different kinds of food and nutrition.  I will be treated to many locals and attractions along the way.


Although I do not believe I will struggle with the cutoff, I do not intend to run the race as quickly as I can.  I do not know if I will ever be in Africa again, so I do not want to spend the race looking at my watch or doing math in my head.  I am going to run at a comfortable pace, listen to some traditional South African music and enjoy the entire experience.  I may need to stop and take a picture or two.

Prior to the race I am spending a week relaxing and resting in Cape Town, which looks like one of the prettier cities I have ever seen.  My wife and I will be shopping (for fabric) exploring and just plain relaxing. (As if the 30 hour flight each way isn't going to give me enough time to relax).


 While I am gone I hope many of you (Melissa Pizarro) will be training your asses of for the Kettle Moraine 100.  I'll be there pacing and crewing.  Have a great Memorial Day holiday!



No comments:

Post a Comment